Policy & Procedure No.10a
1. Millfield Pre-school (MPS) is run by a Committee and we encourage all families to enjoy being involved.
2. The children need to know and understand that other adults care about them, working together parents/carers and staff members can ensure that children feel confident coming to MPS.
3. MPS welcomes all families from the local area.
Basic information on admissions:
a. All MPS literature stipulates that all families are welcome.
b. Verbal and written information is provided for all new families.
c. A regular newsletter is provided for all parents/carers.
4. When the children are ready to start MPS we:
a. Encourage the parents/carers to visit MPS with their child before they are due to start.
b. Talk with the parents/carers about how they feel the child will settle best into MPS. Ask that a parent/carer stays with the child for a minimum of one session to a maximum of three sessions, or longer if necessary, at the discretion of the Lead Practitioner/Manager or Senior Assistant. Upon this request, the first session shall be free of charge.
c. Welcome parents/carers into MPS at the start of each session until they and staff feel confident that the child has settled.
d. Increase the time the child stays alone (from the parent/carer) at each session, if required.
e. Reassure anxious parents/carers by providing them with information about their child’s activities while at MPS.
f. Invite the child to bring in a comforter/toy if they have one.
5. If a child is distressed:
a. We will comfort them and try to occupy them with an activity.
b. We will stay with the child until they become settled.
c. We will contact the parents/carers and ask them to return if we are unable to settle their child.